Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Ready?

When at your appointment on Thursday, the doctor tells you, "it's time to have your baby, how does Tuesday sound?" you suddenly have a very busy weekend in front of you. You have phone calls to make, bags to pack, and panic to overcome. 

Grandma Ann was kind enough to take Zachary and Elara for a couple nights, so we could finish getting everything on our lists crossed off, and enjoy a peaceful dinner out with Nonna and Poppa who had just driven out from Iowa. (We went out for Indian--yum!) 

We had known for awhile that my blood pressure was high, and we were just trying to make it a few more weeks, but somehow it still surprised me when 37 weeks was here, and we were making the trip to the hospital early on the morning of June 16th. We were originally scheduled for a 10am c-section, but they moved us up to 8am at the last minute--which meant we were waking up pretty early to get to the hospital on time. I still insisted on one last session of belly pictures before we left for the hospital--something I nearly forgot to do with Zachary, and completely neglected to do with Elara, Zachary's last belly picture is in the parking lot at the hospital, and for Elara, I'm already suited up in my hospital gown!

Of course, the early wake up was just to let us hurry up and wait once we got there. They had me fill out paperwork, change into a hospital gown, and start on IV fluids. The doctor asked if I was sure I wanted a c-section, and I am pretty sure I looked at him like a crazy person. My list of alternate forms of delivery was pretty slim. 

After a little more waiting, they had me walk down the hall and around the corner. I hopped up on the delivery table, and got ready to be numbed. I had already pre-negotiated with the nurse to get my catheter after they did the spinal, so I wouldn't have to feel anything. :) I also told the anesthesiologist that I have a tendency towards nausea, and he made sure I was covered for that eventuality. 

Then it was time to put up the blue sheet. Paul was right there, taking pictures and keeping me grounded. He asked me how I was doing, and I said, "I'm ready to have a baby!" At 9:06 a.m. Barrett made his way into the world. He was crying and red faced, and I was crying and red faced. 

Turns out he is the biggest of all my babies, at 7 pounds 10 ounces, and also the shortest of my babies at 17.5 inches. He peed all over the nurse before she even had a chance to weigh him, and then again before she got a diaper on him. Once he had a diaper on, he stopped crying and snuggled in. (He still doesn't like being naked!) 

Welcome to the world Barrett Apollo Corriveau, there are lots of people who are very happy you are here!

























No comments:

Post a Comment