Thursday, September 29, 2011

packing it away









My son, the knowledge sponge. Z is an avid reader, and has an incredible vocabulary. He is always surprising me with a new word he's picked up.

I think it helps that we're not afraid to let him watch television. He has learned a lot from the shows he enjoys. I think too many parents get caught up in the tv-is-evil mind frame. There are some wonderful, educational shows out there, and not allowing your kids to watch any of it is a shame. I'm not letting him watch TV all day long, and I don't let him watch just any old show. But Sesame Street, and Super Why and Baby Einstein are great. He gets to learn about letters, and counting and shapes, in different ways than I could teach him on my own. He even has a sign language DVD that he loves, and can show off all the signs he knows!

I'm not recommending unlimited television, it's certainly not a substitute for reading and coloring and play time, but I think it's a great complement to our day. We'll watch a show or two in the morning, and then spend the rest of the day playing, reading, and adventuring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment