Wednesday, May 4, 2011

beachy keen







In blog-world, we're still on vacation in Fort Myers, but I'm at least a month behind on this blog, and we've been back to the real world for a few weeks already. But that doesn't stop Z from having a good time. I told Paul a couple days ago, that you have to describe Z's joy as completely unadulterated, because only a child could take such pleasure in so many simple things. 

We took him out to play on our deck, and he spread open his arms and proclaimed, "Owww-sigh!" (Outside!!) He saw the whole world in front of him; a playground for his senses, and a chance to take a deep breath of fresh air and run around until his legs couldn't propel him forward any more. I remember when I was little, and a month felt like an eternity. I wonder if that's what it's like for him, every moment lasting forever. A trip to the park is an endless loop of him grabbing my hand, and walking to the top of the slide again and again. He's just devastated, crushed even, when it's time to go.

I feel like the worst Mommy ever, dragging my screaming, crocodile-tear-crying little guy away from the slide at the park. Usually he's passed out in his carseat before we even leave the parking lot, but he wants so desperately to keep having fun. I look forward to having him understand that we can come play again the next day, but I'll wait, because I don't want to give up the sweet, innocent moments of joy that are sure to slip away as he gets older.

No comments:

Post a Comment